Stonewall Secret Santa 2018!

Dave (Voleron)

Voleron

November 19 2018

Ho, ho, ho!  We here in the Stonewall Gaming Network leadership are thrilled about the upcoming holiday season and so, for the SECOND time, we've decided to organize a community-wide #SecretSanta event, similar to those you may have heard of or participated in on Reddit.  If the joy of giving is filling your heart this season, then consider signing up for this event, where you'll both give and receive a special gift!

1. Sign up and get matched
  • Sign-up for the Stonewall Secret Santa exchange by November 25th, 2018 by completing the survey below
  • On November 26th we will close signups, and our computer will randomly choose which Stonewaller you should send a gift to
  • You'll receive an email with your Secret Santa match and their sign-up survey answers

2. Find the perfect gift and send it

• You'll have until December 10th to ship your gift, but the sooner the better, so as to increase the chances of it arriving for Christmas
  • When you ship it, keep a receipt and tracking number (if possible), and come back here to tell us that you've shipped it

3. Receive a gift from your match

• When you receive a gift, you'll need to come back here and post an amazing thank you note to your secret santa, hopefully with photos!

Q: What are the pre-requisites to participating?
A: You must be a Stonewall member in good standing with an account that's been active on this site PRIOR to the announcement of this event on November 18th, 2018.

Q: How much should I spend on a gift?
A:The recommended amount to spend is in the $20 to $25 range.  While you may choose to spend more on your giftee, understand that the value of the gift you're receiving is likely to be in the recommended price range.  That said, the goal is to send a thoughtful gift and might be something that you've created yourself, if you have a particular talent.

Q: Do I have to use my real name and information?
A: Many postal services will not deliver packages without real names.  Fake names are also often turned away by universities and apartments.  Obviously, your Secret Santa won't be able to send you your gift if you don't provide accurate information.  If you're concerned about sharing your contact information with a potential Secret Santa, then you might want to sit this event out or give us suggestions on how to improve it for next year!

Q: Can I ship directly from an online retailer like Amazon, to my giftee?
A: Of course.  We understand that paying for shipping twice can be cost prohibitive when you’ve found the perfect gift online.  Please only do this with reputable sites such as Amazon.  Remember to handle your giftee's personal information with the same care that you would expect yours to be handled.

Q: Is the person I am gifting to the same person who is gifting to me?
A: No. They are two completely different people. However, in some instances, like if you are in a country with very few participants, there is the possibility that you and your giftee can be matched in a pair.  We try to pair people from the same country together, so as to reduce on shipping times and costs.

Q: What do I need to send a present through the mail?
A: Please check with your local postal service for specifics, but general best practices are:

1. Do not wrap the package.  You can wrap what's inside, but not the shipping box.
  2. Ensure the destination address is clear so that it doesn't get delayed in the mail
  3. Ensure a return address is provided; failing to provide this will likely result in your parcel being delayed by the postal service or at customs for security reasons, or it being lost altogether
  4. We strongly suggest getting a tracking number or some other form of delivery confirmation; keep your receipt!

Q: I'm late shipping my gift. What should I do?
A: It's OK if you ship a little bit late, but PLEASE let your giftee know so that they don't worry.  Be sure to let us know by replying to this thread once you've shipped your gift.

Q: Sweet! I live close to my giftee! Can I deliver my gift by hand and not bother shipping it?
A: No.  Please respect your giftee's privacy and handle their personal information with the same care and respect that you would expect yours to be handled with by your gifter.

Q: I never received a gift :(  What do I do?
A: Please let us know.  We'll get into contact with your Secret Santa to determine what went wrong.  We'll look into tracking information and see where your gift may have been held up.  If for whatever reason, we're unable to clear up the situation, we'll match you to a gifter that we have on reserve so that you won't walk away empty handed.

Q: I have another question that hasn't been addressed here
A: Post your question in this thread and we'll answer it here!

By participating in this event, you understand that your contact information including your name, address, email and survey answers will be provided to your randomly selected Secret Santa to allow them to ship a gift to you.  We're taking steps to safeguard your personal contact information as best we can by restricting this event to Stonewall members with an active account on this site prior to the announcement of this event.  The survey service we selected to collect your contact information uses SSL.  Only the administrator of this event and your Secret Santa will have access to your contact information.  The administrator will delete your contact information once you've received your gift and your giftee has received their gift.  With that said, you must appreciate that there is always some inherent risk to providing your contact information that we can't or haven't negated, therefore, if you choose to participate in this event, it is at your own risk.

4 people liked this
Dave (Voleron)

Voleron

November 19 2018

4 people liked this
Dave (Voleron)

Voleron

November 26 2018

Stonewall's 2018 Secret Santa sign-ups are now CLOSED!

Each of our 16 participants will receive an email later tonight with their Secret Santa giftee's information!  We'll post here again when those emails go out!

JimJMcL1a liked this
Dave (Voleron)

Voleron

November 28 2018

Stonewallers who signed up for the Secret Santa exchange: emails with your secret giftee's information have been sent out!  Be sure to check your email inboxes and spam folder to ensure that you've received your match!  Post a reply here in this thread if you're having any difficulties or if you have any questions that haven't been answered in this thread!

Unknown Person liked this
Cheshire McCaster

Niko

November 28 2018
Gift ordered but its tracking says it will arrive between Dec 21 to Jan 02.  Just waiting for them to say its been fully processed.
Zander Hawk

Zander_Hawk

November 29 2018
Gift Ordered :D -it should arrive to my giftee well before Dec 10th.
Gareth GXV3

GXV3

November 30 2018
Having had a long long hard day at work today.. I came home late this evening to a message plopped through my letter box, a parcel from the North Pole was taken in by my neighbours as I was out.
whats this I said.. I haven't ordered anything!?
I Went over to the neighbour and got it... only to see that the gift was from my secret santa!

X2 lovely gift presents specially hand wrapped by the elves of the Amazon!

A lovely BIG and super soft Blastoise plushie!
and a Union Jack T-shirt.. 
with the gift note saying "Please enjoy wearing this with pride (as nobody will be able to tell you are Welsh)"

But thats not all.. 

As i came on the PC to post this I noticed a strange email... from my secret santa..

(zoom in)
Secret santa had also sent me a £20 Xbox voucher to spend on a game!!

A **massive thank you** to my secret santa whomever you are.
These really did cheer up my day, you went above the guided price naughty noodle, but they are lush.
Thank you!!

#SecretSanta

8 people liked this
Dave (Voleron)

Voleron

December 01 2018
Haha, that's an awesome and speedy Secret Santa!  Lucky, @GXV3!

December 01 2018
I was pleasantly surprised to see my Secret Santa gift sitting on my door step this morning.  I only wish they had put their name on it so I could thank them 
4 people liked this
Dave (Voleron)

Voleron

December 01 2018
Ooooo, niiiice, @JimJMcL1a! Excelsior is one of my fave ships!

2 people liked this
Cheshire McCaster

Niko

December 02 2018
That is a great collection to get started on if you can afford it, i had a subcription for its first 3years a ship every month was nice.
2 people liked this

Unknown Person

December 03 2018
This lovely gift dropped through my letterbox today!

https://www.stonewallgaming.net/photos/133838
https://www.stonewallgaming.net/photos/133837

I assume it's from my lovely and generous Secret Santa, whoever you are!

Thank you so much for your generosity, I love it!!!!!, and for picking black (it helps hides my ever-growing baby bump! :P)

Merry Christmas!!!
6 people liked this
Edited December 03 2018 by Unknown Person
Patrick Aka Trick

trick

December 03 2018
Lucky! Did it come with the cute guy?
2 people liked this
Patrick Aka Trick

trick

December 03 2018
Santa tells me a package full of [Redacted] has been dispatched and is on its way to [Redacted]. I really hope [Redacted] enjoys it!
2 people liked this

December 05 2018
Dropped off my package in the box today. Mail isn't going out on Wednesday, but it's going Priority so it should still be there pretty quick.
3 people liked this
Thurman @jestbess#5421

nycblkboy

December 05 2018
I just noticed this today. I need to visit the site more or was it in the games MOTD? 
I see signup is closed. Maybe next year make it apart of the game MOTD :(
Edited December 05 2018 by nycblkboy
Dave (Voleron)

Voleron

December 05 2018
Quote by nycblkboy
I just noticed this today. I need to visit the site more or was it in the games MOTD? 
I see signup is closed. Maybe next year make it apart of the game MOTD :(

Hey @nycblkboy!  We'd advertised this on Discord, in the message of the day for all fleets for a week, and on both Facebook and Twitter!  Unfortunately, you're too late to sign up this year, as everyone who signed up before the November 26th deadline mentioned in the first post, has already been paired with their Secret Santa match.  

We'd love for you to follow the Stonewall Gaming Network on social media through your choice of Facebook and/or Twitter so that you don't miss out on future events, and/or keep tuned to our announcement channel on our Discord server.  If you need help getting connected with us on Discord, login to the fleet site and follow this link for our server information.  

If you have other suggestions on how we can extend our reach when it comes to getting information out to the community, please let me know and we'll do our best to do better next time. Hopefully you can join us for next year's Secret Santa!!

Patrick Aka Trick

trick

December 06 2018
Received a package last night. No idea who it's from yet, and I've been warned through one of Santa's elves (a really obnoxious one named Mallomar, I think -- apparently slave labor at the North Pole makes elves really bitter and angry) that I could get confused if I look at it before a second one shows up. Pon Farr could kick in or something, I guess. So I'm waiting patiently.
2 people liked this
Edited December 07 2018 by trick
Edward Lloris

Saintplazma

December 07 2018
Quote by EstherNe
Dropped off my package in the box today. Mail isn't going out on Wednesday, but it's going Priority so it should still be there pretty quick.

Awesome  thank you  Star Wars box set, a awesome  headset and  a new  multitool I've been  waiting a new  one

4 people liked this
Edited December 08 2018 by Voleron
Dave (Voleron)

Voleron

December 08 2018
Awesome, niiiiice haul, @Saintplazma!!

2 people liked this