Caution advised - Security Threat on STO Wiki

Ted Hembach

TLara

May 26 2019
Hello Fleeties,

I recently encountered some malware while browsing in the STO Wiki (sto.gampedia.com). It's a pop-up thats tells you that your system is somewhat endangered and that you have to save your system files immediatly. The pop-up window has only an 'OK' button as option.
DO NOT HIT OKAY IN THIS WINDOW!
Instead, I suggest to do a computer reset without closing any browser window before. A short investigation shows, that it is a common cloudfront malware distributed by some advertising networks (which are also used by sto.gamepedia).

Does someone also have this problem?
3 people liked this
Edited May 26 2019 by TLara
Lars Zandor

Lars_Zandor

May 26 2019
Thanks for letting us know, TLara. I don't get any pop-ups when on the STO Wiki, but I have two different add-blockers (Adblock Plus and uBlock Origin) installed, so maybe that negates that danger.
4 people liked this
Kevin Van Eeten

Chipz416

May 26 2019
Thanks for the heads-up! I fortunately have not seen it yet, but it's good to be forewarned.
Unknown Person liked this
Dave (Voleron)

Voleron

May 26 2019
Haven't encountered it yet, but STO Wiki is brutal for the number of ads that they have.  I don't tend to get pop-ups from them, but the embedded ads are so brutal that it slows my browser to a crawl regularly.  It's too bad that they have so much information that I use, otherwise I'd never go there, honestly.

Unknown Person liked this
Kieran Kiki

Kierix

May 26 2019
Quote by Lars_Zandor
Thanks for letting us know, TLara. I don't get any pop-ups when on the STO Wiki, but I have two different add-blockers (Adblock Plus and uBlock Origin) installed, so maybe that negates that danger.

I too use a double whammy approach and dont encounter them, so best to ensure you have protection when heading out alone!
2 people liked this
Ted Hembach

TLara

May 28 2019
Thanks for your replies, and thanQ for your Tip Lars. I've installed uBlock Origin (AdBlock plus I had already), lets hope it will get better now!
Edited May 28 2019 by TLara

Unknown Person

June 26 2019
I see this all the time when browsing the wiki on my phone.  You’re right, it’s an ad, and the “service” they’re selling is ransomware.  I don’t have an ad blocker on the phone, so I just hit the “back” button on the browser to go back to the page I needed.