You are invited to the Ships of Stonewall 2022 yearbook!

Cal

calx

November 13 2022
We are now in the final weeks of 2022 and here at the Stonewall Times, we wanted to commemorate the adventures that your captains and their flagships have been on throughout the year with a special feature!

We are pleased to invite you to be included in our inaugural SHIPS of STONEWALL!

We can all appreciate the gorgeousness of the starships that we fly in STO! They are indeed a work of art and it becomes a joy flying them through space, be it exploring or in our battles! This will be a PDF book showcasing these, the flagships of our wonderful fleet of members as well as our extended armada buddies, and the yearbook will serve as our 2022 family album which we can all get to read over the holiday period, subject to our team's availability along with timely submissions. 

INSTRUCTIONS TO TAKE PART:
1. Take a good quality image of your ship

2. Take a good quality image of your captain &/or crew

3. State your Captain's name & rank, and crew details too if applicable

4. Provide the following details :
  • Ship name
  • Ship class
  • Ship registry
  • Any special or defining features/characteristics
  • Current Fleet attached to (e.g. Deep Space Stonewall), or;
  • Current Armada Fleet, if applicable

5. Provide any Captain's Log excerpts (optional) - feel free to highlight the adventures of your ship and crew and limit these to 3 or 4 paragraphs. Some ideas to include:
  • Write a mini biography for your captain and crew, and/or a small except of your captain's logs of adventures throughout 2022. 
  • Did you get a newly commissioned flagship this year?
  • What is the reason, or backstory, for your ship's name?
  • What spatial anomalies did you encounter? 
  • Which species made your captain spill their coffee (or tea)?
  • With whom did you make first...or even second contacts? 
  • Where did you boldly pew pew? And; 
  • With what new upgraded gold-border MK XX mods? 

6. Send your submissions via
  • [Discord - PREFERRED] Direct message the above information and files to Cal#9129 via Discord
  • [SGN Forum thread] Reply to this thread - note that this means your entry will be seen by others first, rather than on publication in the book

DEADLINE
In order to ensure that our team can include your submission in the yearbook, please submit your contributions by Sunday 18th December to help us meet our publication timeline to release by New Year's Eve. 

We hope that you are as excited as we are to produce this, our first ever yearbook, and look forward to seeing your contributions!

*screenshot credit THEBORGQUEEN

Unknown Person liked this
Connie Zinser

aetios

November 13 2022
Sorry to ask, but what qualifies as a 'good quality' image? I know it's a dumb question, just want to make sure before I bother you.
Cal

calx

November 13 2022
Quote by aetios
Sorry to ask, but what qualifies as a 'good quality' image? I know it's a dumb question, just want to make sure before I bother you.

Not a bother :) It's a high resolution image (such as a 2000x1000 and above pixel size), to ensure the image looks crisp and clear in the final publication!

Michelle C.M.

Gamerchelle

November 14 2022
Out of curiosity, how many ships are we allowed to submit? Are we restricted to one? I could potentially submit four, all of them with detailed ship and crew info.
Cal

calx

November 14 2022
Quote by Gamerchelle
Out of curiosity, how many ships are we allowed to submit? Are we restricted to one? I could potentially submit four, all of them with detailed ship and crew info.

This will depend on how many we get ultimately - feel free to submit all four, marking one as your flagship to definitely have that one included :)

November 15 2022
Do they have to be new screenshots, or can I reuse some of my old beautyshots that I kept? Asking since I no longer have STO installed.
Cal

calx

November 16 2022
Quote by Balduranne
Do they have to be new screenshots, or can I reuse some of my old beautyshots that I kept? Asking since I no longer have STO installed.

Yes you can use old ones :)

Rich Ryan

thunderfoot1007

November 24 2022
Attention, Intendent Image Submitters!

The following settings in STO will ensure the best quality image of your Pride and Joy! Some of you know about these already and some of you do not. The settings are listed in STO Wiki. However, they are buried deep in the appropriate section and are not obvious without a significant, time-consuming search. 

Please note some of these settings are very GPU/CPU intensive. The higher value inputs may cause older graphics cards and computers to stutter badly, to lock up, or to overheat until shutdown or damage occurs. Please exercise good judgement and common sense if you choose to use them.

I've no knowledge about using these settings on Console. I assume they're available since STO is almost a direct port to Console. I suggest any Console user please read the advice above before using these settings.

On to the Settings! I'm posting these so the commands can be copy/pasted with minimal effort. 

In the Chat Box type the following. Upon completing entry of the command, press Enter . The command will take effect immediately so be prepared.

/renderscale X - This increases/decreases the screen resolution. X is a numeric value. The default value is 1 or 2. 4 will give you the highest resolution. I do my glamour shots with 4 and then promptly reset the resolution back to 1.

/setregionfov Space XX and /setregionfov Ground XX - These increase/decrease the distance from the screen your ship or character appears. XX is a numeric value. The default setting is 55. The minimum (closest) setting I've been able to use with a ship is 20. I tried 15 once for the Ground setting hoping I could eliminate my character from view for a more immersive experience. No joy.

/screenshot_jpg - This copies the image to your screenshots folder in STO. I prefer a .jpg format for the image. It is possible to capture a .png format image. However doing so, while enhancing the image quite nicely, also greatly increases the file size.

The order I enter these commands in is /renderscale X, then /setregionfov Space(or Ground) XX, then /screenshot_jpg. When I am done taking screenies, I immediately reset both /renderscale X and /setregionfov Space(or Ground) to their default settings. These are: /renderscale 1 and /setregionfov Space(or Ground) 55.

To locate that awesome image you just pressed prt sc for, look inside your Star Trek Online folder for the folder marked screenshots. The default location of screenshots in my laptop (WIN 11) is This PC > OS (C:) > Program Files (x86) > Star Trek Online_en > Star Trek Online > Live > screenshots.
I've no idea where the screenshots are on Console but again, I'm going to assume they're in a similar location.

Some humble suggestions from someone who likes taking screenshots and wants yours to turn out the best they can be.
1) Take lots of images. Sounds obvious, doesn't it? Surprised at how many people think the perfect shot is gonna happen with just one take.
2) "Action" shots are a lot more difficult to get but they're not impossible. Just takes practice.
3) When taking an "Action" shot, the best view is from the enemy's perspective.
4) Don't forget about the lighting. Your treasured beauty can look a bit meh above Earth Space Dock. Same ship above Bajor can look ab-fab.

Last thing: May I please have an Admin pin this post in this thread? I want everyone to send in the best possible image they can. I'm hoping this advice helps with that.
5 people liked this
Edited November 25 2022 by thunderfoot1007
Dave (Voleron)

Voleron

November 24 2022
Submitted mine!

Rich Ryan

thunderfoot1007

November 25 2022
Just submitted my entry

EDIT: I've spent a few hours searching the map for the best lighting for a glamour shot and I've found it. Fleet Colony Space. The lighting is even and uniform. Shadows are limited to essential ones used to define the mass of an object. The lighting picks up even the smallest of details on a ship. So I'm recommending using fleet Colony Space for your entry for Ships of Stonewall 2022.
3 people liked this
Edited November 25 2022 by thunderfoot1007
Connie Zinser

aetios

November 25 2022
Quote by thunderfoot1007
Just submitted my entry

EDIT: I've spent a few hours searching the map for the best lighting for a glamour shot and I've found it. Fleet Colony Space. The lighting is even and uniform. Shadows are limited to essential ones used to define the mass of an object. The lighting picks up even the smallest of details on a ship. So I'm recommending using fleet Colony Space for your entry for Ships of Stonewall 2022.

Honestly, that's entirely fair, I personally went with a picture in sector space, surrounded by the Briar Patch. The lighting isn't even, but I liked the aesthetic of the cloud putting the lights on my ship into even more emphasis. That's just personal preference, though.