Future of the Stonewall Gaming Network

September 01 2015
I have been thinking about the future of Stonewall Gaming Network for some time now and I’d like to discuss it with all of you. I’ll be blunt -- in a lot of ways, our foray into a multi-guild network hasn’t worked out well. Knights of Stonewall (KOS) isn’t active, and while Stonewall Vanguard (SWVG) is active in Guild Wars 2, the players aren’t involved in our overall community. If we’re to launch a new guild, sooner or later, we would need to prepare and be ready. As well, we need to have a path in mind for the future of our community.

It’d be easy to blame Star Wars: The Old Republic for the lack of activity in KOS or say that our player base in SWVG is just different, but I feel both of those are just scapegoats. I’d like to reexamine how we decide to start new guilds, get them running and maintain them over the long term. Also, I’m interested to get some input on how we, as a multi-guild network, should function. As well, I’ll clear up some misconceptions about how things currently run.

Right now, our entire community is largely focused on Star Trek Online. For players coming here for other games, it’s very difficult for them to get involved into a community that’s based on an IP or lore that they know little to nothing about. Despite my best efforts to move the community in a less Star Trek centric way, there’s been little success. It’s been like plugging a dam with my finger. If we’re going to continue with the multi-guild network, I need a dedicated group that’s willing to help out, regardless of the game or guild, to move the entire community in right direction. Some of the work needed isn’t fun or glamorous, but it needs to be done.

For those interested in this topic, I’d like to invite you to join me on TeamSpeak this weekend. I’m looking to chat with those of you who are willing to speak up and share your thoughts, so please skip this if you just plan to listen Please think about what I’ve brought up in this message so far and bring your own honest thoughts and even some questions. I would love to hear from those of you with opinions, perspectives and ideas on how to solve the problems of running this community. If you have any additional questions or concerns, feel free to reply here, but let’s save the discussion for the meeting.

SGN Future Summit
September 5th, 2015
10 AM PST / 1 PM EDT / 5PM GMT
SGN TeamSpeak
10 people liked this
Ben

Gravity

September 01 2015
This is in important topic to talk about and I wish I could make it :(

I hope lots of people come and provide lots of useful input.
Unknown Person liked this
Lars Zandor

Lars_Zandor

September 01 2015
I think I'll be there. Not sure if I have anything useful to add, but I do want to hear what is going to be said. Also, I will try to think of some stuff that might help.

Btw, for those that want to join next weekend but don't have Teamspeak, here is a how-to guide: http://fleet.stonewallgaming.net/welcome-center/guides-and-tutorials/how-to-setup-teamspeak
Michael Minks-Bungard

Dax_aussie_boy

September 01 2015
I am going to attempt to attend this summit meeting, as this is very early in the morning on sunday for me due to time difference. I am quite interested in what else is going to be said as well as.
Shawn Birch

Parker

September 01 2015
I will be present. I have written up a one sheet of thoughts. if you'd like me to share it with you, Nick, prior to the Summit I will send you the link.

Unknown Person

September 01 2015
This is something I've always felt strongly about, so I'm super excited that it's being discussed! :woohoo:
Edited September 01 2015 by Unknown Person

Unknown Person

September 02 2015
I'll be there as well.

September 02 2015
Quote by Lars1091
I think I'll be there. Not sure if I have anything useful to add, but I do want to hear what is going to be said. Also, I will try to think of some stuff that might help.

Actually, if you don't plan on speaking up, don't attend. I'm not looking for an audience. :P If I see people not talking, don't be surprised if I start calling people up by name.
Jamie O'Connell

medgirl1025

September 02 2015
I have been authorized by Ambassador S'taass to inform you that delegates from the Empire will attend. Prepare seats for us..
Edited September 02 2015 by medgirl1025
Tsar Agus

WhiteOnmyoji

September 02 2015
Oh I suppose I can descend from my Godly perch to mingle with the mortals.
Brandon Felczer

CapnBranFlakes

September 02 2015
Quote by WhiteOnmyoji
10 people liked this
Lars Zandor

Lars_Zandor

September 02 2015
Quote by NicholasJohn16
Quote by Lars1091

Actually, if you don't plan on speaking up, don't attend. I'm not looking for an audience. :P If I see people not talking, don't be surprised if I start calling people up by name.

lol. It probably is just that I won't be able to think of something beforehand but will come up with stuff during the conversation. It usually goes like that with me :P
Tsar Agus

WhiteOnmyoji

September 02 2015
Quote by CapnBranFlakes
Quote by WhiteOnmyoji

I think you meant

Ryan-Evan Tade

AdmiralTade

September 03 2015
I am stealing this gif
Michael Minks-Bungard

Dax_aussie_boy

September 05 2015
I had hoped to make it to this, but due to the time difference and work commitments as such, i wont be able to attend this.

Is it possible to convey messages to someone to speak on our behalf as something what i would have wanted to say at this summit?
Brandon Felczer

CapnBranFlakes

September 05 2015
Quote by Dax_aussie_boy
I had hoped to make it to this, but due to the time difference and work commitments as such, i wont be able to attend this.

Is it possible to convey messages to someone to speak on our behalf as something what i would have wanted to say at this summit?
I can read what you write. Feel free to email me.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Michael Minks-Bungard

Dax_aussie_boy

September 05 2015
Thanks Brandon i will forward you what i want to say.

Dax

September 14 2015
For those interested, we just released the SGN Chat that we'll be using in Knights of Stonewall. Check out the announcement here.
3 people liked this
Brandon Felczer

CapnBranFlakes

September 15 2015
Quote by NicholasJohn16
For those interested, we just released the SGN Chat that we'll be using in Knights of Stonewall. Check out the announcement here.
This is awesome, Nick. Thanks for all your work on it.

Q: Does this work as an overlay in STO too, or any game really, so we can chat with all online community members, not just those playing 1 game?

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

September 15 2015
Quote by CapnBranFlakes
Q: Does this work as an overlay in STO too, or any game really, so we can chat with all online community members, not just those playing 1 game?

Yup, it should run on top of an app just fine. I had it open while watching Netflix yesterday.