Website Update

Website Update

August 28 2016
As some of you may have noticed, we've been having issues with our website on and off for the last month. Our sister sites for Knights of Stonewall and Stonewall Vanguard remain inaccessible and I've had to disable some features to keep the site working. While I've been planning to update our website for sometime, this has accelerated my plans. For the last two weeks, I've been working full-time on getting us ready to do so.

I've taken great care to maintain as much of our data as possible, I've decided to trim that fat here and there for efficiency's sake. Photos that have been viewed less than 5 times won't be migrated over. Private messages older than two years won't make the cut either. Neither will any of the videos. In the event that something important to you is not transferred over, I'll be maintaining a local copy for some time so just contact me and I'll send you what I can.

The new site has been built from the ground-up and will be very different from the current site. While some features that we're used to will be gone, there are lots of new features that I think you'll love. The new site features a much more modern platform that we can build a future on. Slowly, I'll be able to add back in features that are missing as well as new and exciting ones.

My current goal is to take the site offline on Monday, download the necessary data and begin migrating everything to our new website. The migration should hopefully only take a day or so. A big part of that is actually migrating the data that's on our current site, such as user accounts, profile data, photos and messages and rearranging it to fit the data structure on the new website.

So far in my tests, that takes about 6 hours. After that, all that data has to be uploaded to the new server and I'm not sure how long that will take. I'll be sure to post on social media and hopefully send out an email notification once its up.
10 people liked this
Edited August 29 2016 by Unknown Person
Gavin

nivagni

Website Update

August 28 2016
Looking forward to it - good luck

Unknown Person

Website Update

August 28 2016
Six hours for a migration on that scale seems optimistic. Hope all goes well, but just in case, you might want to keep this handy.
Unknown Person liked this

Website Update

August 29 2016
I've ran into some last minute issues. Might need another day or so to sort them out.
Shawn Birch

Parker

Website Update

August 30 2016
Issues mean you are doing something right! Wooot! Sorry for the delays but awesome that it is moving along at a good pace.

In my case, I have a technician and app that is 6 months behind. That means he is doing something so very wrong.

Another day for you awesome! Ping me if I can assist in anyway. (I can do a pretty good Rah rah rah on the sidelines for ya! :))

Unknown Person

Website Update

September 01 2016
Looks great so far! The new login was painless, now to get used to where things are.
Michael

Mstfrancis

Website Update

September 03 2016
This site is so Fresh!
2 people liked this
Edward Lloris

Saintplazma

Website Update

September 03 2016
Is clean, no?

Unknown Person

Website Update

September 04 2016
Quote by Mstfrancis
This site is so Fresh!

Edited September 04 2016 by Unknown Person
Gavin

nivagni

Website Update

September 04 2016
 New site looks great, but my eyes are not the greatest and some of the light text is a bit hard to see....  would it be possible that you are able to add a feature where we can choose between a few different themes?
A.J.

xochild

Website Update

September 06 2016
The new site looks brilliant...one question, though, what features were cut and which were kept?

I've been trying to find the PM function and I still can't find it xD

Unknown Person

Website Update

September 06 2016
Quote by xochild
I've been trying to find the PM function and I still can't find it xD

It's weird. You apparently have to click the person's avatar icon to go to their page, "Follow" them, then write a "Note." Not very intuitive at all.
Edited September 06 2016 by Unknown Person
A.J.

xochild

Website Update

September 06 2016
I did notice that, but, if you want to privately message someone, that doesn't help. And then also, I had other messages too that I guess didn't make the cut.

Unknown Person

Website Update

September 06 2016
There is a "Share Privately" option when you are creating a note. Would this be like a pm?

Unknown Person

Website Update

September 06 2016
That's what I'm led to believe. there's a small black lock icon when it's private.

Website Update

September 06 2016
You send someone a private message by going to their profile and posting a note with the "Send Privately" option check. Who has  permission to post to their profile depends on that person's permissions. There will be a small lock on the story item indicating that it's a private messages. Old private messages were ported over, but it didn't work as I thought it would. For some reason, they're only showing up on the profile of the person they were sent to.

As someone who heavily used the private messages on the old site, I feel your pain. The private message system is defiantly lacking and something I'll be improving or replacing as soon as the big ticket items are taken care of.
2 people liked this
Edited September 06 2016 by nicholasjohn16

Website Update

September 06 2016
Quote by nivagni
 New site looks great, but my eyes are not the greatest and some of the light text is a bit hard to see....  would it be possible that you are able to add a feature where we can choose between a few different themes?

I'll be creating a new template for the entire site very soon. It'll be the next major project I start on. If you point out the real problem areas, I'll try to get them fixed up in the current template.
2 people liked this
Edited September 06 2016 by nicholasjohn16
Shawn Birch

Parker

Website Update

September 06 2016
Quote by Halish
That's what I'm led to believe. there's a small black lock icon when it's private.

You are correct sir! (even I had to ask though)

Website Update

September 07 2016
Check out the new homepage for Stonewall Fleet! http://fleet.stonewallgaming.net/
2 people liked this
Edited September 07 2016 by nicholasjohn16
Jamie O'Connell

medgirl1025

Website Update

September 28 2016
Transitional elements aside, the setup (once acclimated to it) is smooth, fluid, and simple. It's overall enjoyable and pleasant on the eyes. I adore the into movie when you come to the site. Great job!